Shirley Smith is our Parent Involvement Specialist and is available to assist our families in any way. You may contact Shirley Smith by email or call (757) 928-6827.
The Grandparent Caregiver Resource Program
This program is a support group for grandparents or other relatives who are raising children other than their own and who attend Achievable Dream. As many of you know, it is difficult enough raising our own children, but raising a grandchild, niece, etc. brings along its own unique set of challenges. The group will meet to support each other, share resources/experiences, and to explore the rewards and challenges associated with this responsibility.
Facilitator: Gayle Vaden, Coordinator, Relatives as Parents
Dates: Monthly (every 3rd Tuesday of the month)
Time: 1:00 to 2:30 p.m.
Location: Parent Resource Room
- Kids' Domain Links for Parents and Teachers
- US Department of Education Parent Page
- National PTA Website
- Letterland-How Can I Help My Child Read?
- KidSource-Online Parenting
- National Coalition for Parent Involvement in Education-Resources for Parents
- KidSource-How to Enable Children To Live A Drug Free Life
- Dept. of Ed-Partnership for Parent Involvement in Education-Get Involved!
- Virginia Parent Teacher Association
- Positive Parenting-Web Links
- American Library Association-Resources
- All Newport News Public Libraries
- Official Site of the City of Newport News
- Newport News Tourism
- The Mariners' Museum
- The Virginia Living Museum
- US Army Transportation Center at Fort Eustis
- The Peninsula Fine Arts Center
- Newport News Parks and Recreation
- Sandy Bottom Nature Park
- Virginia Air and Space Center
- Children's Museum of Portsmouth